No Let Up In Kashmir Student Protests Despite Govt Appeal, Reprimand

SRINAGAR, APRIL 23: A day after the government ordered the closure of private coaching centers in Kashmir for three months, students continued taking to streets and staged protests on Monday demanding justice for minor Kathua girl who was brutally raped and murdered in January this year.

The protests turned violent leading to clashes with government forces at many parts. Dozens of students were injured.

Reports reaching GNS said students of degree college and other schools of Anantnag town on Monday morning took out a protest march demanding capital punishment of all the accused arrested in Kathua case.

Soon after the clashes erupted, all the business establishments in most parts of the town were closed. It also led to grinding halt to the traffic for some time.

Government forces used tear smoke shells and baton charge against students resulting in injuries to six of them. Among the injured, one Wamiq Aijaz sustained pellet wounds in his abdomen and was hospitalised.

At Bijbehara, students of higher secondary school staged a protest demonstration and in the meantime, clashes erupted between them and government forces already deployed in the area.

At Shopian, students of higher secondary school clashed with government forces soon after they took out a protest march. Three students received injuries.

At Ganderbal, four students of degree college were injured in clashes that followed the protests.

Similar reports of protests and clashes were received from Baramulla and Sopore where students of higher secondary schools staged demonstrations and clashed with forces. Four students received injuries in Baramulla.

ALSO READ  Police Says Ahsan Dar Is In Jammu; Family Says He Was Not Missing

The students of Law College Sopore assembled at Amargrah where from they took out a peaceful protest rally which culminated at Sangrama Chowk.

The students carrying placards chanted slogans against the culprits and demanded stern punishment against them.

All the students who suffered injuries have been hospitalised and their condition is said to be stable.

On Monday, authorities deployed women CRPF troopers in city centre Lal Chowk here to rein in the protests by girl students.

Kashmir Lawyers Club organized a signature campaign at Pratap Park here to express solidarity with Kathua minor. Scores of activists held placards demanding justice for the seven-year-old girl.

Meanwhile, peaceful student protests were received from other parts of Kashmir and in some parts of Jammu including Banihal, Kishtwar, Rajouri and Doda. (GNS)

To Top